Sunday, July 22, 2012

Giving Back

"There is no such thing as a small act of kindness."  Marjorie Pay Hinckley


I'm such a blessed person.  I love my life.  I have so much to be thankful for.  Sure, I have struggles like everyone else and I do have things in my life that truly make my heart ache.  But I know that no matter how bad things in my little bubble are, there are countless others who carry many more burdens than I ever will.  Others who need to smile.  Others who need help and support...maybe even from someone like me.


 I want to help...I want to help everyone who hurts. There are so, so many causes.  Everyone of them worthy of support.  I feel small ...like I can't make a difference.  When I think about it my head & heart ache. I don't have spare money to donate, I can't just go volunteer somewhere when I have three little ones at home with me.  But what I can do is find a way to use my own talents, no matter how big or small. And that's just what I am doing.

Our sweet little friend Morgan has Leukemia.  She's a feisty 2 year old and she's been kicking Cancer's butt!  When she was admitted into the hospital for the first time, she was given a simple homemade blanket.  She loved it and it made her smile.  It made her mom smile too.  Morgan's mom, Yvette,  decided that she would like to continue to put smiles on the faces of little ones affected by Leukemia.  She accepts monetary donations, extra fabrics, and of course homemade blankets.  She sews and delivers the blankets to Loma Linda Children's Hospital in CA and they are given to sick children when they are admitted.  She asked me to help and I gladly am.  I have even used this opportunity to include my own children; to teach them the importance of giving to others.

I know it's just a blanket and it's not helping to save the world or even cure Cancer.  However, I also know it makes my friend Yvette smile.  I know the children who receive these blankets smile.  And when you are sick and sad, sometimes a smile and a cozy blanket are just what you need.  Sometimes you just need to know that people care.  I hope that my friend's cause is able to give every sick child a soft homemade blanket.  But even if only one little child receives one...if that one little child can forget about Cancer for a minute...if that one little child can snuggle up with his or her new blanket and get some restful sleep, I'll know I helped the best way I could.  

I encourage you to find a cause and a small way to help...A way for you to use your own talents, wether it be crafting, sewing, cooking or praying.  If you would like to help with this particular cause you can like 
"Morgie's Blankets of Love" on Facebook.  


"No act of kindness, no matter how small...
is ever wasted."  ~Aesop



www.facebook.com/MorgiesBlanketsofLove

No comments:

Post a Comment