Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Stockings Were Hung by the Chimney With Care...

One of my favorite things to do each year is make Christmas stockings.  I usually pick a family I love and make a set for them. Besides a Christmas gift, they are also a perfect gift for a new baby or even a wedding.  After all, they are something the family will keep for years to come.  And everybody loves to have something made (and personalized) just for them.  Depending on the type of fabric you choose, you can make a traditional stocking or you can pick a funky fabric to change it up.  Here are a few samples of the many stockings I've made over the years.


These stockings were made for one of my favorite families.  I made them all out of corduroy but in different colors (dark green & burgundy for the parents, red for their daughter, tan for one of their sons & blue for their other son).  The cuff, toe & heel are all made with the same fabric.  My favorite part is the lining.  I always choose a special lining that reminds me of the person...toy soldiers for  boys, pink & red snowmen for girls, etc.  I like how the cuff fabric is very traditional but the corduroy and the colors are nontraditional.



This is a close up of one of the stockings.  Each one gets a monogram to make it even more personal.



This is my mantel with our family stockings.  I made the stockings over several years, which means they don't match at all.  They are all different styles and fabrics but since they were made from the same pattern they all work together.



This is the stocking I made for my husband before we were ever married.  I used very traditional fabrics. We've had it for nine years and it's still in great shape.


This is the stocking I made for myself (the same year I made my husband's).  I used a satin with an overlay.  I decided against the toe and heel since I had the overlay and I wanted it to show.  


I made this stocking for my daughter right after she was born.  I went with pink tweed and faux fur.  I love this stocking because it's fun and sassy just like my girl.  The lining has pink snowmen with hearts.


This is my first son's stocking.  I think it fits his personality perfectly.  It's rugged and classy and all boy.    Before he was born, I originally made him a light blue velvet stocking with snowflakes and a faux fur cuff. After having him and watching him develop into this boisterous personality, the first stocking just didn't seem right.  I like all of the stockings I make to represent the person it is for.


This stocking is for my little one.  It's perfect for him.  I also used corduroy for this one, but it's a different style.  Instead of having wide stripes, it has thin stripes.  


I made this stocking a few days ago for my cousin's new baby.  It is made out of cotton and felt.  I actually stood in the fabric store texting my cousin photos of different fabrics so she could have the exact one she wanted.  I'm glad I did too.  This is not what I was planning do for her baby at all!  But it ended up turning out very cute.  She knows her baby better than anyone and this is the fabric choice that reminded her of him the most. 


I also made this stocking a few days ago.  Several years ago I made a family set of stockings for one of my mommy friends.  They were all made with different colored corduroy and had matching cuffs, toes & heels.  My friend's home is very country so this star fabric was perfect.  At the time I made the original stockings there were only 3 members in her family.  Now there are four.  Surprisingly I had extra star fabric!  I got very lucky.  So, if you are planning to make these for a family who may expand in the future, be sure to save some of the fabric!  I have another stocking to make for a family who is also growing.  Again, I am lucky that I have the cuff fabric on hand.  
I hope these will inspire you to get out your sewing machine and be creative.  I look forward to making these every year and I know the people who I've given them to think they are very special.  

No comments:

Post a Comment